Illustrating how end-users see click-through and click-wrap notices

Auke Jilderda auke.jilderda at philips.com
Tue Aug 13 07:03:40 UTC 2002

An article in Linux World that compares the installation of Win2k to Red
Hat 7.3 concludes with some remarks that nicely illustrates some issues
raised in this click through and click wrap discussions:

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0812.install.html

Quote:
	"the constant click-through of EULA's and supplemental EULA's
	is tedious and legally pointless from the consumer's perspective.
	If you buy an operating system and you agree to its license terms,
	that should be the end of it. But I had to click-through a mind
	boggling 8 EULAs to get W2K installed and updated. On the Red
	Hat side, there were none."
	"We're talking about gagging consumers with the sheer volume
	of the licenses, not just their terms. How can anyone keep up
	with all they have agreed? Multiple Windows EULAs are a shell
	game on steroids. I didn't read each EULA carefully, and may
	have pledged allegiance to the French Foreign Legion."

Sounds like he doesn't mind one but definately hates 8 in a row. I'd
already hate to have to click through one though...

Kind regards,

Auke

--
Auke Jilderda, mailto:auke.jilderda at philips.com (PGP key 0x88583DDF)
Philips Research, Prof. Holstlaan 4, 5656 AA Eindhoven, The Netherlands