Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 13 02:06:01 UTC 2002

I thought that section 117 was about the right to crack a program's copy
protection (if necessary) in order to make a legitimate backup copy.  Well,
that's an oversimplification, but I think it's closer to the truth than Mr.
Bernstein's argument.  It goes to show that you shouldn't believe every
opinion that you read on the Internet.

(Follow the references back to the source; the quotes under "patches" both
seem to be taken out of context.  If you read them in their intended context
you "might" find that they don't support Mr. Bernstein's opinion nearly as
well.)

Bruce