Open Source Click-Wrap Notice

Bruce Dodson bruce_dodson at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 11 16:11:28 UTC 2002

Here, here.  I agree completely that this would be absurd.  Yet I still
worry.  Hopefully the law will eventually agree with us on this point.

In Canada we have a "good samaritan" law; I don't know whether something
like that exists in the USA.  The good samaritan law says that, in an
emergency, if you accidentally hurt the victim while you were trying to
help, you can't be held liable.

Although open source development isn't done in an emergency situation, it is
done by many whose only goal is to help people, and who don't ask any
compensation other than a nod of recognition.  Wouldn't it be nice if, to
the extent that open source development is an altruistic act, we were
afforded the same kind of protection that a volunteer fire department gets?

Sadly, wishing doesn't make it so.

>From: "Carol A. Kunze" <ckunze at ix.netcom.com>
information on