why does allowing click-through licenses "just feel wrong"

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at epix.net
Wed Aug 7 11:58:34 UTC 2002

> These small hoops which only exist to cloud understanding do nobody
> any good. I would love to get a consensus that click-throughs are not
> required to release a developer from liability (preferably in the
> form of explicit legislation to that point in the case of open source
> development).

The UCITA makes developers liable by default unless they form a
contract and disclaim warranty with specific wording.

You can get an overview of this problem at:
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ucita.html

Relevant parts of the UCITA Draft start at section 403, I believe.

I don't know what the new UCITA will have (I have not followed it) or
what modifications were made to the UCITA when it passed in Maryland
and Virginia.