why does allowing click-through licenses "just feel wrong" to me?

M. Drew Streib dtype at dtype.org
Wed Aug 7 04:55:54 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:33:53PM -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> It's within our power, as the OSI Board and the community of people
> working on software and software licenses, to establish the norms in this
> industry that those asked to make a judgement call in a case will compare

Yes.

These small hoops which only exist to cloud understanding do nobody
any good. I would love to get a consensus that click-throughs are not
required to release a developer from liability (preferably in the
form of explicit legislation to that point in the case of open source
development).

Luckily, I don't see most free software projects moving in the direction
of requiring a click-through license, regardless of outside pressure.
I only hope that it won't take a lawsuit or two against
joe-glibc-developer to make the proper precedent.

When I think about the original purpose of copyright, then look at an
artists' current liability for simply creating a work and allowing others
to use it, I feel sad.

I feel very sad.

It makes me not want to work on free software projects tonight.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype at dtype.org>
Independent Rambler, Software/Standards/Freedom/Law -- http://dtype.org/