A new "use" clause in the OSD

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Tue Aug 6 16:02:47 UTC 2002

John Cowan wrote, in part
> Forrest J. Cavalier III scripsit:
>
> > It's a start, I guess.  But does the GPL pass?  The GPL basically
> > says "you shall not [modify] unless you also [distribute]".
>
> Say what?  It says you can't distribute binaries unless you distribute source.
> You are free to modify programs for your own use all you want.

Of course, you are right.  I should have written

  The GPL clause 2 basically says "you shall not [modify and
  distribute] unless you also [distribute sources]".

But since that has always been interpreted as "modify and distribute"
together, there are better examples.  Such as the Artistic license:
   3. You may otherwise modify your copy of this Package in any way,
   provided that you insert a prominent notice in each changed file
   stating how and when you changed that file, and provided that you do
   at least ONE of the following:

or the W3C license,
   [grants you permission to use], copy, modify, and distribute]
   as long as you include [license, IP notices, and change notices].

Do these pass Russ's wording?