Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Sun Aug 4 00:07:25 UTC 2002

Your points have answered a couple of questions. If we look at this issue
narrowly, it makes sense to say that clickwrap should not be a mandatory
requirement of the OSD, but could be approved as appropriate for an open
source licensor. The point being that there is nothing extraordinary about
clickwrap/click-through method itself that sustains mutual assent; rather,
there are many ways to accomplish this task that are more appealing as a
practical matter. In that light, there are a number of ways to disclose a
warranty disclaimer in a manner that best ensures that the end-user receives
notice/consent.

It is difficult to frame the warranty disclaimer issue abstractly and
independently of the license because one walks from one potential quagmire
to another despite the fact that a specific instance is probably a great
deal less complicated. The bottom line is very close to how the discussion
sees to have begun. If an open source licensor distributes software via a
website, the license/warranty disclaimer/contract/ should make its way to
the potential licensee in a manner that the netscape license in the
smart-download case did not. Click-through dialog boxes seem to offer a
level  of assurance that a court might agree with the licensor that mutual
assent  is indicated.

Clickwrap is not the only way to show mutual assent. More practical measures
are certainly possible so I would agree that we should not get too affixed
to clickwrap when less budernsome, but equally effective measures can be
adopted.

Should the OSD mandate a clickwrap measure? I agree with those who say no,
but I would not undermine the importance of mutual assent when it is
relevant. License drafters should be aware of the importance that contract
formation rules have on the enforceability of the license regardless (and
independent) of the terms.

Is mutual consent relevant for warranty disclaimers only? I think this is a
difficult question in the context of software licensing, but viewing the
matter simply as a generic issue, my answer is: since an "AS IS" disclaimer
is ostensibly not a promise of anykind, the effectiveness of the  "AS IS"
notice is likely to be controlled by consumer protection laws, rather than a
genuine issue of copyright licensing (i.e. copyright law or contract law).
Anyone with a consumer protection law background?

I have made no further comment on the philosophical issues since they seem
to raise the stakes of disunity more than the legal issues.

Rod