Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat Aug 3 14:47:22 UTC 2002

Your questions actually raise many more issues than is apparent.  The first
critical hurdle we need to conquer is the confusion over whether open source
licenses,  which are presumed to be in compliance with the OSD, are properly
denominated "non-contractual" licenses. I do not agree with that claim, but
I do think that it is a claim that requires resolution. Although there may
be strategic reasons for insisting that the GPL (or any other open source
license) is merely a copyright license, there are consequences attached to
the position. One way to consider this matter is to faithfully review the
OSD to determine whether some of its articles exceed the boundaries of
copyright law. If so, it may be unhelpful to ignore that fact in assessing
whether an open source license is "non-contractual."

Regarding the question about giving up warranty rights, I am not familiar
with any case explicitly on that point, but maybe someone else has more
information on that matter. On the other hand, "as is" licensing is
authorized under UCITA. In addition, the federal warranty law
(Magnuson-Moss) only governs a WRITTEN warranty for consumer, mass-market
goods, which, arguably, may include software distribution when the seller
provides a written warranty.  Generally, if a written warranty is provided,
the seller cannot eliminate any implied warranty under the federal law; that
condition might be what Brian is referring to by his reference to "warranty
rights."  I believe the bottom line for open source licensing is that the
federal law does not apply to "as is" licensing. You might conclude that "as
is" licensing is not exactly consumer-friendly, but one might also view it
as part of the trade-off for the "freedom" granted by the licensor.
Rod

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M.
rod at cyberspaces.org
http://www.cyberspaces.org/dixon/
My papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) are available
through the following url: http://papers.ssrn.com/author=240132