OSL Version 1.0 dated 8/2/2002

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Fri Aug 2 17:48:26 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Lawrence E. Rosen wrote:
> I decided to borrow some of their wording and added an external
> deployment provision to the OSL.  Here is the clause I added:
>   ...  As an express
>   condition for the grants of license hereunder, You
>   agree that any External Deployment by You shall be
>   deemed a distribution and shall be licensed to all
>   under the terms of this License, as prescribed in
>   section 1(c) herein.

Someone could refuse to accept your license (thus also refusing to accept
your definition of distribution).  If he refuses to accept your license, he
could then Externally Deploy the code without being bound by the license.
This provision accomplishes little.

The GPL and similar licenses can put conditions on distribution because
if you don't accept the license you have no right to distribution at all.
Redefining distribution doesn't work--someone who doesn't accept the license
only lacks the right to distribution as originally defined by the law, not
as redefined in the license.