Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Aug 2 14:57:01 UTC 2002

Michael St . Hippolyte writes:
 > On 2002.08.01 23:18 Russell Nelson wrote:
 > > At the July OSI board meeting last week, we approved the Academic Free
 > > License (think MIT/BSD/X11/Apache with a patent grant) and we sent
 > > four licenses back for reconsideration.
 >
 > As someone who has submitted a license (the Bento Poetic License), is
 > there any way for me to find out whether the license was sent back for
 > reconsideration, rejected outright, or not even considered?

Sorry, I hadn't yet gotten around to it.  Yes, your license is being
sent back for reconsideration.  The license is approvable, but we are
concerned that you may be acting under a misunderstanding of trademark
law and as such the license may not serve your purpose.  The board
recommends that you consider obtaining legal advice before
resubmitting this license.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com |  New Internet Acronym:
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok |