Legal soundness comes to open source distribution

Rod Dixon rod at cyberspaces.org
Fri Aug 2 06:07:22 UTC 2002

I agree with David that click-wrap (or click-through or web-wrap...)
generally denotes what he describes as "download-wrap" licenses. Leaving
aside the matter of "use-wrap" licensing, courts seem to viewing click-wrap
licensing in two forms: the passive license and the "active" license. What
is at issue, often, is electronic contract formation. In other words, did
the user manifest consent to the terms of the license? In this regard,
passive licenses or click-wraps that do not require the user to actually
"click" a dialog box, slect something on a pull-down menu, or some other
user interface input demonstrating "I agree" are less likely to be viewed as
licenses that offer clear evidence that a user may have consented to the
terms of the license. In my opinion, it is far better that this potential
problem is fixed or avoided than ignored. Consequently, I think the OSD
should include something on the click-wrap issue in its next iteration.

With regard to the comment about whether it matters if the user sees the
license, I suppose in a strictly technical sense it is true that
manifestation of consent does not necessarily mean that licensors must prove
that users must actually have seen the license to be bound or denominated a
licensee, but a movement that prides itself on being generally
consumer-friendly might be inclined to adopt a practice that more likely
than not ensures that potential licensees read the copyright license to
which they are bound. Therefore, I would suggest that in response to the
prevailing legal climate and as a policy matter, the click-wrap issue is
important enough to be considered in the next version of the OSD.

- Rod
rod at cyberspaces.org
http://www.cyberspaces.org/dixon/
My papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) are available
through the following url: http://papers.ssrn.com/author=240132