Discuss: The Open-Source Milestone Application Framework Software License

Akil Franklin afranklin at techMilestone.com
Mon Apr 29 00:02:04 UTC 2002

Article 7 is basically meant to ensure that the authors of the framework
are notified when it is used (i.e. placed into a production system
either modified or not). Again, the goal is the sharing of information.
Perhaps the following would be better:

7. Milestone must be notified when this product is placed into a
production system (either modified or not). Such notification can be
made by visiting www.techMilestone.com and filling out the appropriate
online form. If you have any questions about this process, please send
an email to MAFAdmin at techMilestone.com.

Better?

-- Akil

-----Original Message-----
From: Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. [mailto:rod at cyberspaces.org]
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 8:27 AM
To: rod at cyberspaces.org; license-discuss at opensource.org
Subject: Re: Discuss: The Open-Source Milestone Application Framework
Software License

  I agree that article 7 creates compliance difficulties. Will the
drafter
explain why it is included? The article might make more sense if it is
limited to modifications contributed to the codebase.

  Rod

  Rod Dixon
  www.cyberpsaces.org

 >   > WHY don't you TALK about these?
   >   >Pekka Heikkinen    'Pekkanet'
   >   >Finland
   >   >EDU ID: 1268
   >   >Mob: 358-(0)41-4738525
   >   >Email:
   >   >>Greetings,
   >   >>On behalf of Milestone Technology Group, LLC I am I am
submitting
the
   >   >>Open-Source Milestone Application Framework Software License,
Version
   >   >>1.0
   >   >>
   >   >
   >   >
   >   >>7. Milestone must be notified of the redistribution and use of
this
   >   >>product. Such notification can be made by visiting
www.techMilestone.com and filling
   >   >>out the appropriate online form. If you have any questions
about
this process,
   >   >>please send an email to MAFAdmin at techMilestone.com.
   >   >>
   >   >If all restribution should require you be notified, even if such
   >   >redistribution is of the unmodified product, I believe that it
will
be
   >   >against the open source philosophy.
   >   >
   >   >>
   >   >>8. Milestone Technology Group, LLC is granted the right to use
the
name
   >   >>and logos of products derived from this software in
communications
related to the
   >   >>Milestone Application Framework.
   >   >>
   >   >Logos and names usually are protected by laws relating to trade
marks,
   >   >and if Cl. 8 is supposed to mean that "by creating a derived
work
from
   >   >this product, you impliedly licence us your names and logos (in
other
   >   >words, your trademarks), your will have put that in very
explicit
words.
http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3