Discuss: Request for OSI approval

Chris Knight merlin at ghostwheel.com
Thu Apr 25 19:04:03 UTC 2002

[ please discuss this license.  -russ ]

Greetings,

   My name is Chris Knight, and I'm working with Beatnik towards the
release of their browser plugin as an open source project.

I have completed step 1, attaching the current proposed license in HTML
format as an attachment and making it available on-line for review:

   http://www.ghostwheel.com/Beatnik_Player_Open_Source_License.html

As for step 2...  Standard IANAL disclaimer.  :)  My original goal had been
to release the Beatnik Player under the BSD license, but pre-existing
license restraints and a lawyer still on the payroll at Beatnik blocked
that path entirely.  A review of the license by Richard Geiger at Perforce
estimated our license to be closest to the IBM license.  I am not able to
judge evaluations of precedence or incompatibility.  I believe the license
is close to being usable, but I'm very much open to suggestion in almost
any area you feel it needs work.

I have subscribed to the list, and away any feedback you may be able to offer.

As per #4, I would prefer that my identity be attached to this license and
discussion.  I have no reason to remain anonymous during the process.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

-Chris Knight