News. was[Re: forums]

Steve Mallett steve at opensourcedirectory.com
Fri Sep 28 06:24:58 UTC 2001

> Another thought:
>
> Many high-traffic lists (of which I'm not sure l-d really qualifies)
> have a "news" summary that's posted periodically, usually weekly.  This
> usually covers highlights of recent discussion.  Examples include
> kernel-traffic and Debian Weekly News.  This might be another solution
> to the current problem.
>
> Peace.

I was just thinking about this... kinda.  The highlights part anyway.....

After posting and playing with the PHP-Nuke forums test-site I did mention to
the board the thought of using this type of site in its original intent, a
news site.

Currenty I feel its a bit of a pity that Gems like this
(http://www.usatoday.com/money/tech/2001-09-27-msoft-software.htm) are lost
to the ether or tucked away in the old-news sections of /. (for which there
isn't an open-source 'topic' per se.  And newsforge is just way to busy.  In
a good way.

I'd like to use this php-nuke thingy to post this type of story in a k5 type
manner.  http://open5ource.net   I hope the k5 reference isn't lost on
anyone.  8^)

This particular tool, I feel, is best suited to this type of thing.  Its a
nice way to catalogue o.s.-ish news chronilogically.  And though the webforum
isn't something that those who are technical users may prefer it is the
default way that newbies would be accustomed to.

I just talked myself into it.  That's a damn good idea.
--
Steve Mallett | Stable, Open-Source Apps
http://OpenSourceDirectory.org | steve at opensourcedirectory.com

Project-Listing Maintenance In A Can: http://trovesendtwo.sf.net

webmaster at opensource.org  (Aug 15th/01,
I have nothing to do with license approval.)

"Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as cooperation with good."
        -- Mohandas Gandhi