GPL vs APSL (was: YAPL is bad)

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Wed Sep 26 04:50:32 UTC 2001

Some have said that the MIT/BSD licenses do not REQUIRE access to the source
code, and where the licenses PERMIT access to the source code, code forking
is permitted for redistributions of modified works. I think this is correct
although the "list of conditions" clauses in the license are so ambiguous
that they have a recursive quality.  In my opinion, the MIT/BSD licenses are
uncomplicated, but not well-drafted.

BSD:

"Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
derived from this software without specific prior written permission"

Rod Dixon
"Life...work which you despise, which bores you, and which the world does
not need
- this life is hell." W.E.B.  DuBois in 1958