OSD #2 (was Re: GPL vs APSL (was: YAPL is bad))

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 25 22:30:08 UTC 2001

begin Matthew C. Weigel quotation:

> I also think that the OSD contributes to this misunderstanding - I
> think the wording of the introduction should be rewritten to not
> suggest the distribution terms have to meet the OSD, but the
> distribution terms or the distribution itself.

Actually, I think it's just a case of some computer geeks amusing
themselves be pretending that the OSD is supposed to be a standalone
expert system for auto-issuing licence certifications -- while knowing
full well that it's actually a set of guidelines for what the Board
will or won't likely certify based upon the licence's substance.

The existence of a set of guidelines fortunately doesn't bar the Board
-- or the rest of us -- from applying common sense.  E.g., "Sorry, but
software without source code cannot be open source."

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window