YAPL is bad (was: Re: Backlog assistance?)

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Mon Sep 24 13:15:54 UTC 2001

Rob Myers wrote:

> I agree that this is an offer rather than a directive. But the effect of
> making the source (ultimately) available to anyone is the same as soon as
> the license is accepted. The GPL has this effect, the APSL makes this effect
> explicit. Any attempt to control this (by requiring that employees or
> clients not distribute the source) is in breach of the license.

Right enough, but it still may be contained by voluntary action or
by sheer inertia.  Not so the APSL: Apple *requires* you, on pain of
breach, to inform the world about the changes you make solely for your
own use.  Just as a practical matter, this may be an impediment to using
modified APSL code in a company that has restrictions about what its
employees may publish.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com