Contract or License?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 16 20:42:58 UTC 2001

on Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 04:52:37PM +0100, SamBC (sambc at nights.force9.co.uk) wrote:
> [...]

*Any* discussion of statute is going to be relative to its specific
jurisdiction.  This isn't an error, it's a fact of the domain.

> DMCA surely holds no water (or has any effect) overseas?

The US statute doesn't hold overseas, to the extent that foreign law
enforcement cannot be forced to uphold US law.  I don't believe an
extradition case could be based on DMCA, though I don't know what these
limits are.

However, the DMCA is based on the WIPO/WTO intellectual property treaty,
and as such is intended to be the foundation of "normalized" law in most
industrialized nations.

Moreover, related statutes have been used to hassle, intimidate, and
arrest citizens of non-US nations, most notably Jon Johansen, in Norway.

And foreign nationals travelling to the US are at risk of arrest,
incarceration, and criminal legal action due to the US.

Your view is naive.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org