copyright discussion

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Tue Sep 11 03:46:27 UTC 2001

Hmm...Public domain was dropped? Not sure what you mean by that. I suspect
the law makers in Washington, DC would beg to differ despite the enactment
of the DMCA and the Sony Bono law. In the context of software (software, as
a practical matter, has a short life span as far as literary works go),
software licenses may be doing more to erode the vitality of the public
domain than changes to the Copyright Act. There are some who might argue
that the public domain is a constitutional constituent of IP law. Hence, the
two must live together, at least theoretically.

To some extent, this philosophical debate is frustrated by semantics and
unclear meaning. There is still a great deal of fuzzy thinking as to what
"open source" really means.  Whether open source is more properly viewed as
a frontal attack upon IP, and an exaltation of the Commons is a question
that gets varying answers. I think, for example, a nuanced argument
concerning the philosophical basis of free software could lead you in an
entirely different direction than the less "restrictive" open source
software development model might lead you. Even so, I agree with your main
point because it is consistent with my understanding of Art. I sec. 8 cl. 8
of the U.S. Const. But, to be faithful to the argument that IP is really a
means to a better end, one should discourage arguments on both sides of this
debate: namely, no IP is evil arguments and no IP is wonderful (empowering)
arguments either. Of course, this is really an end-run on the debate, but
it's just as well due to the debate's complexity and time-consuming quality.

Rod Dixon