newsforge story

sambc at nights.force9.co.uk sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 09:30:03 UTC 2001

I would like to pick up on a couple of points to
this list, and to the OSI:

"Board member Russ Nelson says that people who
are complaining should put forth more effort to
help the board by fulfilling the purpose of the
license-discuss list: to discuss the merits of
submissions and offer suggestions to the
board. "I submitted three licenses on 8/31 for
review to the license-discuss mailing list. Has
anybody reviewed them?" "

I never saw them - wether this is a fault at my
end or yours remains to be seen. However, as it
seems that others have looked in the archive and
not found such emails I am puzzled. However, I
must also reiterate by quoting my earlier
suggestion (not credited to me in the article):

"Members briefly bandied about a suggestion to
form volunteer focus groups for each pending
license; but there was no official public
response from the OSI to the license-discuss
list, and it seemed that was what the list was
waiting for."

I am still happy to do such things, and I am sure
others are. A nice three tiered structure, with
an hourglass shape (or diamond depending on how
you drraw the diagram):

1) License-Discuss mailing list. Casual public
discussion of pros and cons of licenses, and
public opinion of their fitting the OSD

2) A set of smaller focus groups, handling one
license at a time, and reviewing license-discuss
feedback. Possibly with seperate mailing lists,
and only 3-5 members. focus1 thru
focus3 at opensource.org, for example. This would
also allow the board and focus groups to suggest
a small number of licenses for license-discuss to
look at at one time.

3) The board, taking the reports of the focus
groups. The focus groups will already have
digested the views aired on license-discuss.

Now I am happy to do work implementing this and
working with it once it is implemented. Can we
have a reply from the board as to this
possibility?

Finally, I would like to respond to the
correspondace quoted in the article:

"So okay, my feeling is to write these folks off
as whingers. My opinion is subject to change, but
first I want to see some discussion about the
submitted licenses." - Russ Nelson

Could this be clarified who it is applied to? No
names need be mentioned, but what sort of
proportion of the license-discuss list are we
talking? A few real whingers? The whole list?
Anyone who says anything negative? I would be
itnerested to know, especially to figure out if
it is likely that I am included, making
contructive criticism as I have.

Sam Barnett-Cormack