Can anyone say his or her software is open source?

Martin Konold konold at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Oct 31 07:09:36 UTC 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, David Johnson wrote:

> On Friday 30 November 2001 03:31 pm, Tina Gasperson wrote:
> > ACARA (http://www.openchannelsoftware.com/projects/ACARA) is a program
> > originally developed by NASA. ACARA is now being handled by the Open
> > Channel Foundation (http://www.openchannelsoftware.com). ACARA's license
> > terms
> > (http://www.openchannelsoftware.com/project/view_license.php?group_id=129&l
> >icense_id=20) violate at least three points of the Open Source definition
> > (AFAIK, IANAL), yet the Open Channel Foundation claims all of the software
> > it distributes is open source.
> >
> > Is this OK from a legal standpoint?
>

> There's no trademark on the term "wool carpet", yet if I sold you a wool
> carpet that was really acrylic, I would be in a world of legal hurt.

AFAIK openchannelsoftware.com has several similar offerings which are not
really Open Source e.g. their NASTRAN offering (also developed by NASA)

Regards,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Stauffenbergerstr. 107, 72074 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: konold at kde.org                                            //
// KDE 2.2.1: It is real!                                             //