Intel's proposed BSD + Patent License

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Oct 31 04:56:41 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 08:21 pm, Russell Nelson wrote:
> David Johnson writes:
>  > Now wait one cotton pickin' minute here! You mean to tell me I can't use
>  > this software on FreeBSD?
>
> Sure you can.  GPL your copy of it.

??? GPL my copy of FreeBSD ???

Precisely how do I go about this? Replace all copies of the BSD license under
/usr/src and recompile? And what precisely are the boundaries of the
"operating system"? Does it include BIND and sendmail? XFree86? tcsh? What
about third party kernel modules? What if I don't load those modules while
I'm using the software?

Is Intel going to have some click through agreement where you have to verify
that you have correctly relicensed your operating system? Would
redistributors be obligated to perform similar verification measures?

Oh wait! You had me going for a while. Good joke. Hah hah.

--
David Johnson