Intel's proposed BSD + Patent License

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Oct 31 02:27:09 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 02:06 pm, M. Drew Streib wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 04:15:23PM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
> > based on the copyright permissions granted.  Note that the Intel
> > BSD+Patent License does not make copying dependent upon patent
> > noninfringement.  The patent grant is a separate term.
>
> Could it be a separate document altogether?
>
> Step 1: Release under BSD license, not tied to any other terms.
> Step 2: Grant a patent license, under a separate document.

I heartily second this motion. There is no need for YAOSSL, especially one
that is nearly identical to existing licenses (expect for the patent stuff).

Having a Patent License for patent encumbered software is far better than no
patent license for same, but the software cannot be Open Source in either
case. The only software that could be considered Open Source under the
proposed license would be software that was NOT encumbered by patents to
begin with, making the Patent License redundant.

--
David Johnson