Is inherited class a derivative work?

Rod Dixon rodd at cyberspaces.org
Wed Oct 24 15:18:30 UTC 2001

I agree that this thread is interesting, although there has been some
confusion over the derivation of sub classes from a base class in
object-oriented programming and the meaning of derivative work as a matter
of copyright law. Interestingly enough, some of the confusion emanates
from the ill-conceived ways copyright doctrine applies to software, not
just misunderstandings of copyright law. I published an article in the
Columbia Science & Technology Law Review(www.stlr.org) that, among other
things, makes
the claim that some OO-programming practices demonstrate why the scope of
protection of copyright for source code is far too extensive. One could
make a persuasive showing that programming practices that use inheritance,
encapsulation, polymorphism, and similar practices demonstrate thata great
deal of  source code constitutes a cauldron of ideas, and only a scintilla
of original expression. Hence, OOP supports the idea of  open source.

Rod Dixon
rod at cyberspaces.org