binary restrictions?

Greg London greglondon at oaktech.com
Sun Oct 7 22:21:23 UTC 2001

Steve Lhomme wrote:

> [...]

whoah, wait, there are not different LAWS
for open source software versus novels.
They both follow copyright law.
The original question was whether or not
compiling source code was "USE" or
"DERIVED WORK" in the eyes of the LAW.

Which is a separate issue from why
open source LICENSES treat source code
and binaries differently.

The LAW says the copyright holder retains
all rights to derived works. Compiling is
a derived work. Therefore LICENSES do not
have to grant rights to binaries.

why open source licenses treat them differently
is a separate issue. But the original question
basically was whether or not a software author
has the right to restrict binaries in the first
place.

I think copyright law says authors are given
the right to control binary versions of their
source code.

Greg