Dual license?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 2 15:34:20 UTC 2001

on Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 02:12:00PM +0200, Kenneth Geisshirt (kenneth at geisshirt.dk) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm not sure whether this is an appropriate question for this list, so
> please accept my apology in advance.
>
> The situation is the following: I work for a small internet company, which
> is going to do some software development as a government contract. We
> would like to release the software under the following dual license:
>
> 1. If you are an educational institution, you are granted to modify the
>    source code and distribute them to other educational institution (circa
>    like a BSD license).
> 2. If you are not an educational institution any derived work not be
>    public available.
>
> The second point is to ensure than no competetor can go private with
> our software (if we put 2-4 man years into the product we wish to get
> the investment back - as a service provider).
>
> Is the license scheme above Open Source?

No:

    http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.html

    Open Source Definition, sections 5 & 6.

No discrimination against persons or groups.
No discrimination agains fields of endeavor.

Dual licensing can be applied in which the user may, at his or her
discretion, choose from one or more licenses.  The choice may not be
applied by the field of use as you are doing.

IANAL, TINLA.  I am not a member of OSI.

Peace.

   Free Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA!  http://www.freesklyarov.org