Fails OSD #1. [Re: OSD compliant shareware]

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Nov 14 00:08:33 UTC 2001

Hi Forrest,

I think it's possible to create any number of licenses that violate the
spirit of the OSD while following the letter. However, I don't think this
example is one of them. Your #4 doesn't pass OSD #1, which requires that
sale be permitted.

It's been pointed out that:

1. The OSD is not written in statutory language.
2. That it says what you _can't_ do rather than what you can and thus makes
   it easy to find loopholes, because there is an unbounded set of activities
   that it does not restrict.
3. That it was created before we had any experience interpreting it and before
   there was a DMCA at all.

It still makes a _wonderful_ manifesto, its success speaks for that. But to
apply it blindly would be foolhardy. I imagine that there is an unbounded set
of licenses that appear to be OSD-compliant yet are so pernicious in their terms
as to be outside of the spirit of the OSD.

I haven't read the decision in MAI vs Peak, but DMCA itself is up for
review and if the case really is definitive, it's questionable that it will
remain so.

	Thanks

	Bruce