GPL under MacOS and NewtonOS

Paul Guyot pguyot at kallisys.net
Sun Nov 11 15:38:58 UTC 2001

>I had some of your concerns with CodeWarrior and wrote directly to the FSF
>who told me that they had no problem with my releasing GPL'ed CodeWarrior
>code that used PowerPlant. Their point was that anyone else with CodeWarrior
>could compile it. They also allow MFC in GPLed code.

Wait. Let's say that I release a software based on some code released
under GPL and then I link it with a framework of mine which I don't
provide and I say: here is my software released under the GPL, it's
true that it doesn't compile, but if you buy the framework from me,
I'll grant you the right to include this code into your own
applications (including this software of mine), but of course, I
won't grant you the right to distribute it in source form or in a
library. It's just what Metrowerks does (I mean by selling the
framework, not by violating the GPL).

If the FSF says that this is alright, then I think the OSI should
reconsider the approval of the GPL as OSD-compliant because it's
contrary to paragraph 2 of the OSD. Source form definitely includes
the PowerPlant framework (you basically can't recompile without the
headers and the object code, so source code without the PowerPlant
headers isn't really what I would call prefered form to make
modifications).

>I also checked with MetroWerks who said that their only concern was that
>people not use their academic version to release commercial code. Their
>license specific says you may include their code in free software by their
>own interpretation.

Er. Do you have a specific agreement with MW?
Look at Reference CD/Release Notes/Licensing Issues/Metrowerks EULA.txt

Section 3:
>You may distribute Distributable Code only in executable object code
>form and only as incorporated into application programs you create
>using the Software and which have substantial value in addition to
>the Distributable Code.

Appendix A is the list of Distributable Code
It mentions "The PowerPlant Library and sample code in object code
form" with a note stressing what was said in section 3:

>Note:  Licensees may not distribute the source code of the
>PowerPlant Library, Metrowerks Standard Library, Metrowerks Runtime
>Libraries, or any derivative thereof, or sample code thereto,
>without express written permission from an authorized officer of
>Metrowerks Corp.

It also mentions "Apple Computer Software and Redistributable Libraries".

[TEC for 68K]

>1) I got it from MetroWerks who specifically licensed me to use it in GPLed
>code.

Please send it to me in source form then. Also please pgp sign it :)

>2) I think it was in Apple's 68k gcc compiler. I no longer have a copy to
>check.

What do you call Apple's 68K gcc compiler? Cygnus's (well, Stan Shebs
when he was working there) attempt to port gcc to MPW? Not sure that
if Cygnus violated the GPL, it gives you the right to distribute the
TEC in source form (which you probably don't have anyway).

Paul
--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/