Open source shareware?

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at oomentor.de
Fri Nov 9 12:28:12 UTC 2001

Hi all!

Angelo Schneider David Johnson:

> > On Thursday 08 November 2001 08:05 am, Forrest J. Cavalier III wrote:
> >
> > As long as this permission notice and disclaimer are included, any
> > person obtaining a copy of this software may distribute this
> > software or derivatives.
>
> Where's my permission to create derivatives? I see that I can distribute
> them, but there's nothing about being able to create them. This is a crucial
> distinction. As it now stands, I have the right to distribute derivatives
> created by OTHER people, but not to create them myself.

You do not need a permission to create derivates, IMHO.

As I understand copyright law creating of a derived work is free for
everyone.
Only redistribution, public performance etc. is regulated.

Angelo

Angelo Schneider         OOAD/UML         Angelo.Schneider at oomentor.de
Putlitzstr. 24       Patterns/FrameWorks          Fon: +49 721 9812465
76137 Karlsruhe           C++/JAVA                Fax: +49 721 9812467