Open source shareware?

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Nov 9 11:06:29 UTC 2001

Chris Gehlker scripsit:

> As someone with some code on Open Source disks I'm afraid I can't agree.
> They may own the media. They may own the very generous rights that I granted
> them in the license. They certainly own any improvements that they may have
> made to the original program. But the original program is still mine.

You are still the *copyright owner*.  But the particular *copy* belongs to
the purchaser of the disk -- after all, the ocpy is *on* the disk.
It's like buying a book.  When you buy a book (copy), you own that
copy, and you can use it for anything you want (except that you can't
hang the pages of it in your art gallery, because that is public display).
The copyright of the book of course remains with the author or publisher.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan at ccil.org
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,