Open source shareware?

Rod Dixon rodd at cyberspaces.org
Thu Nov 8 22:26:46 UTC 2001

The theory is that as a licensee, you are NOT an owner. Owners buy
products, they do not license, according to the theory. At issue is how
one might characterize the transaction involving the distribution of
software: is it a sale (which means the first sale doctrine might apply)
or is it a license (which might mean ostensibly that the licensor may
"withhold" application of the first sale doctrine).

Rod Dixon