lesser GPL restrictions

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Nov 7 02:59:31 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 06 November 2001 11:26 am, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> There's a c) option:
>
> Release it under the GNU GPL: share your code with everybody and let it
> evolve into stuff you never even dreamed it could do (possibly). Avoid
> proprietary extensions of your hardwork by some greedy corporation

You forgot: Redhat makes a millions bucks off your code but you still live in
abject poverty.

Mentioning companies getting rich off of your code is definitely NOT an
argument to use against non-copyleft free licenses. So let me rephrase your
"a":

a) anyone can use your code for any purpose, so some people may get rich, the
community still benefits, and your code still evolves into stuff you never
even dreamed it could do.

One solid example is the BSD OS. Some people are getting rich off of it. The
community benefits from it. And it is evolving in directions the original
authors never dreamed of when they started. Other examples include Apache and
Perl.

--
David Johnson