lesser GPL restrictions

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at greymalkin.yi.org
Tue Nov 6 19:26:28 UTC 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 06:22:00PM +0100, DeBug wrote:
> My question is what are the restrictions in lesser GPL ?
> In other words what is the difference between
> a) I write software and give it away for free without copyrighting it
> b) I write software copyright it and issue it under lesser GPL

a) anyone can make a proprietary version of your program, or proprietary extensions of your program.
   somebody gets rich, you and the community gain nothing
b)
   someone can link with your code and make a proprietary program, you gain very little, the community looses in general for another proprietary piece of software was born.

There's a c) option:

Release it under the GNU GPL: share your code with everybody and let it evolve into stuff you never even dreamed it could do (possibly). Avoid proprietary extensions of your hardwork by some greedy corporation

Hugs, rms