Intel's proposed BSD + Patent License

Russell Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Fri Nov 2 14:00:56 UTC 2001

John Cowan writes:
 > Stamnes, Michelle wrote:
 >
 > > Yes, you can use this software with FreeBSD. FreeBSD is subject to the BSD
 > > license, so you have no patent license for the original code.
 >
 > I'm sorry, but this seems to be a contradiction in terms.  If there is
 > an Intel patent on the art of which this software is an expression, then
 > *using* the software with FreeBSD is precisely what we cannot do
 > without becoming scofflaws.

If you're using FreeBSD, then your rights under the BSD+Patent License
are exactly the same as if the code was BSD licensed.  How is this not
open source?

 > actual *distribution* of the OS under the GPL.

s/BSD/GPL/, burn a CD, and send it to me.  You are now using a
GPL-licensed OS.  But that's besides the point, really.  The point is
whether a license which is open source can become not so if a patent
license is included with it.

--
-russ nelson <sig at russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | Why are we still fighting