No rights reserved

David Croft croft at whoola.com
Sun May 13 02:38:28 UTC 2001

David Johnson wrote:

> No, you are still retaining the copyright, as you explicitely state :-) And I
> do not believe that "No rights reserved" is an appropriate legal statement.
>
> As I understand it,  in order to place something in the Public Domain, you
> must legally sign away your right to the work, in a process that involves
> paper documents and signatures. This is too much trouble for the average
> developer, so it is rarely (if at all) done.

Assume that I want to retain copyright but surrender all of my
exclusivity rights so that the work is effectively in the Public Domain
without actually being so.  That is to say, there are no restrictions of
any kind.

> But you can do the next best thing. Use the BSD, MIT or similar license. And
> if even those are too wordy, then something on the order of "All persons are
> permitted to use, copy, modify and distribute this work without restriction"
> should be brief enough.

That's not bad but I worry that it might not grant some rights still
held exclusively by the copyright holder.  Is there a catch-all
statement that could be used in place of enumerating every possible
permission?  What do you think of "All rights granted" as opposed to "No
rights reserved"?

--
David Wallace Croft
(214) 533-3047 cell