Apache vs. BSD licenses

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Mar 21 02:23:32 UTC 2001

On Wednesday March 21 2001 09:06 am, kmself at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> I'll reiterate:  what Copyleft objectives do you have which are not met
> or satisfied with the current GPL v.2?

Well, since I don't use copyleft for my own works, this is kind of hard to
answer :-) I prefer the LGPL over the GPL simply because I won't get into
trouble if I dynamically link to it. As a user (one who does not modify the
source code), the linkage problems with most copyleft licenses are
problematic.

> Under this scheme, core, immutable, licensing language is defined.
> Items of variance, which I envision as largely pertaining to identity,
> authoring/versioning authority, and jurisdiction or venue, would be
> identified.  Parties wishing to adapt and adopt the license could do so.
> Variants meeting guidelines would be considered equivalent.

If you could keep compatibility between the variants, it would be a very good
idea. But incompatibilities between variants would be a nightmare, much worse
than the current version since it would be all to easy to get the variants
confused.

It's a good idea.

--
David Johnson