Apache vs. BSD licenses

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Mar 20 22:39:41 UTC 2001

On Wednesday March 21 2001 05:43 am, kmself at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> The other question is:  if your objectives align with those of the GPL
> (copyleft, promotion of free software), why would you need a different
> license?  This isn't an entirely rhetorical question.

There's a difference between aligning and coinciding. If my goals coincided
exactly with the FSF, you would be completely right. But if they differ even
a tiny fraction, then the possibility exists that another license is more
suited to my purposes. That's why multiple political parties exist in free
nations, and why multiple free licenses should exist for Free Software.

--
David Johnson