Linking restrictions and shared libraries

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Mon Mar 12 20:18:09 UTC 2001

On Tuesday March 13 2001 03:51 am, Carter Bullard wrote:
> Has the GPL every taken anyone to court?

No. However, several parties have been "threatened" with legal action in the
past.

If you were to link a non-GPL application to a GPL libraries owned by the
FSF, you would first be requested to cease. Then you would be requested by
the FSF lawyers to cease. If you were stuborn and did not cease, I have no
doubt it would lead to legal action.

In all the conflicts over the GPL that I am aware of, a settlement or
understanding was made before it ever reached court. In the objc case, the
FSF convinced NeXT to GPL its Objective C front end. In the recent case of
Corel LinuxOS, the author of libapt (?) offered a specific exception allowing
a GPL application linking to GPL libapt to also link to the (then) non-GPL Qt
library.

--
David Johnson