Q: Comments on this draft

mirabilos {Thorsten Glaser} isch at ecce.homeip.net
Fri Jun 22 08:54:30 UTC 2001

Hello,
I would like to hear any comments on this draft
which I have reworked several times in order to
remove flaws I could find.
Purpose:
- small (2k, not 24k)
- similar to LGPL derived works must be under same license
- protection before hotmail-similar licensing
- author can re-license his work even when others feeded
  patches back, e.g. I get a patch, include it and release
  the second version of the programme under my license.
  And I release it under, lets say, a commercial one. For
  this I need the "ownership of patches feeded back".
Still a
- code fork is allowed, but it should not be possible to
  first fork and then re-license (LGPL-style) but comes
  this clear enough?
- definition of "original" so changed works bear different
  labels (and be it just that they don't bear the remark
  "original")

This is just a draft and an excerpt, but includes enough
for this purpose. Comments needed!

Thank you.

--- snip
(...)
 Copyright (c) <author>
 All rights reserved.
Work inferring this License for coverage is protected work and copyright
and intellectual property by its author, the above if no others written.
If any additional terms are to be applied they EXPLICITLY must be stated
on a PER-FILE base and CANNOT be implied e.g. by service Terms of Usage.
We, the author and contributors, shall in no event be liable for any da-
mage or malfunction caused by the work which hereby is provided "AS IS",
without warranty of any kind, neither expressed nor implied.
YOU ACCEPT BY USAGE TO BE BOUND TO THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT TERMS and will
not sue us over it. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THIS YOU MUST NOT USE THE WORK!
"USE" shall be considered: looking at, copying, distributing, executing,
modifying, creating derivate work and including in other work. USE shall
be allowed by this license as long as this Licensing Terms and the copy-
right remarks on the work remain intact part of the work or its accompa-
nying documentation, even in derivate work which shall be covered by the
OWL as well as extensions, but this does not apply to parts that clearly
separate against the work provided. In case of doubt obtain non-electro-
nically written permission from the author.
When contributing to the work you must credit yourself by adding another
copyright line to derivate work, thus becoming contributor and accepting
the ownership of the original copyright holder over patches feeded back,
who in turn must not remove the contributor-copyright lines. A code fork
is also allowed provided you leave existing copyright remarks intact and
the derivate differs. You cannot claim intellectual property of yours on
knowledge gained by USE of (looking at) the work.
Releases of covered work shall be named "original" if the bytestream has
not changed after release.
--- snap

Yes, this is a shrink-wrap license (spelled correctly?).

The second-to-last sentence should read:
- I release, lets say an encryption algorithm under this license
- a company reads it and writes an implementation by their own
- then they try to make a patent out of this => my (public) code
  becomes patented by them (?)
This I want to prevent, too.

Difficult to put this into 2k with CR-LF endings... if I get much
feedback I consider 2.5 or even 3k.

Thanks for your time,
-mirabilos
--