Copyright & License Questions

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Jun 22 02:37:46 UTC 2001

On Thursday 21 June 2001 09:28 am, TARuiz at aol.com wrote:

> 1)  I've read that one should copyright their work and from there choose an
> Open Source license. Isn't copyrighting, though, against the concept of
> Open Source?

Any software you create is automatically copyrighted by you. In order to
abandon this copyright (place it into the public domain) you must go through
incredible legal contortions. It's just not worth it, and there is even
debate as to whether it's even possible. Keep it copyrighted.

If it were practical to place your works into the public domain, you are
opening yourself up to lawsuits. No one now owns the work, yet you are still
the author. Someone can sue you for damages through misuse of the software
(never abandon any property that could cause damage, no matter how remote the
chance). By keeping a copyright on it, you can ensure that a warranty
disclaimer follows the software. (personal opinion: if it's commercial
software, you really should offer a warranty with it, but only to paying
customers. The disclaimer would still be in effect for those not purchasing
the software directly from you)

Morally, the open source world has a bit of disagreement over the question of
software ownership. The FSF has an article on why software should not be
owned. Right next to an article that says software should be copyrighted and
placed under a copyleft license. It makes sense if you use the right colored
glasses :-)

If you wish to really place your work in the public domain, so the next best
thing. Use the BSD or MIT license instead. The only thing they require is to
keep the copyright and warranty disclaimers intact.

--
David Johnson