Copyright & License Questions

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Jun 21 18:09:10 UTC 2001

Lawrence E. Rosen wrote:

> Nobody can "do away" with their copyright "by providing a notice that
> places the work in the public domain."

No, one can't.  But I don't see why an author cannot abandon
their Title 17 rights explicitly, just as any other property right can
be abandoned explicitly.  This, surely, is what is generally
understood by a dedication to the public domain, although it
is not the "public domain" as that term is used in Title 17.
Note that Title 17 nowhere defines the term.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com