Copyright & License Questions

TARuiz at aol.com TARuiz at aol.com
Thu Jun 21 16:28:25 UTC 2001

Hi,

I'm new to these open source issues. So the following questions may be quite
naive:

1)  I've read that one should copyright their work and from there choose an
Open Source license. Isn't copyrighting, though, against the concept of Open
Source?

2) If I were to assign a copyright, is it a matter of simply placing a notice
of authorship and year? Is that enough in terms of a legal standpoint?

3) When I choice an Open Source license or a hybrid of some sort, does one
just simply revise/copy a template of an existing license or just write a new
one and insert this along with the software?

4) Basically are there any legal stamps that make the copyright and chosen
licenses enforceable? And, what makes them legitimate to the community?

5) Does anyone know, other than Sun & MS, current examples of hybrid models?

6) If I wanted to provide proprietary modules/add-ons to the Open Source
software, what license would enable me to do so?

7) If I had a client who hired me to do a customized and closed-version of
the Open Source software, what license would enable me to do so?

I'll stop there...As you can see, I have lots of questions. Any help would be
appreciated.  Many thanks!!

Best,
Tomas