License Question

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Thu Jun 21 03:01:49 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 20 June 2001 08:59 am, Stephane Routelous wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie in License considerations.
>
> Does exists an OpenSource license which allow to be paid if the Sofware is
> used in a commercial application ?
> Thanks,

No there isn't. But it may be possible to use an Open Source license in
conjunction with a closed license to achieve the same thing. It depends upon
the nature of your software, and what you consider "commercial."

Trolltech licenses its Qt library under a dual QPL/GPL license. The only way
you can use it for your own software is to make your stuff open source. If
you want to release closed source software using Qt, you must purchase the
professional license for quite a few dollars.

Commercial software is NOT the same thing as closed source. But 99% of it in
the real world is. A scheme like Trolltech's may work for you if your
software is used for the creation of other software.

--
David Johnson