license-mix, legal consequences?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 20 16:26:39 UTC 2001

begin John Cowan quotation:

> Suppose there are three original works:  A under the GPL, B under the
> MIT, C under the MPL.  You may create a derivative work A+B and license
> it under the GPL.  You may not license A+B under the MIT, because
> you are not allowed to create derivatives of A that are not licensed
> under the GPL.

Strictly speaking, you're not barred from _making_ works with
incompatible licences; the derivative work would just not be lawfully
_distributable_, as so doing would violate the licensing terms of the
third-party borrowed work.

Ditto for the other hypotheticals where you said "You may not create...."

(Pardon the small niggle, please.  Your general point was, as usual, well
taken.)

--
Cheers,            "Orthodoxy is my doxy.  Heterodoxy is someone else's doxy."
Rick Moen               -- William Warburton, Bishop of Gloucester (1698-1779)
rick at linuxmafia.com