interpreted languages and the LGPL

Earl H. Merry early at eastcore.net
Sun Jun 10 19:44:08 UTC 2001

Can anyone give me any help on finding information on
how the LGPL applies to interpeted languages where there
is no 'object' to be linked; and no library files from
which to import 'material from a header file that
is part of a library' (LGPL Clause 5)?

We are using PHP, an interpreted language. Libraries aren't
really called. But we do make calls to 'objects' (not
compiled object files, but code in human readable form that
has functions).  This call to external objects might be
analagous to calls to a library as defined in LGPL V 2:
'A collection of software functions and/or data prepared
so as to be conveniently linked with application programs
. . .' But the definition continues: '. . .
to form executables.' (LPGP clause 0).

 Now, we are not forming executables; I was
taught and understand that term to mean compiled and linked
binaries.

How can the LGPL apply in interpreted language situations
such as this?

Howard Merry
EastCore, Inc. - http://www.eastcore.net
"The threshold for this to be true is not precisely
 defined by law"

-The GNU Lesser General Publc License (LGPL)
-http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html