MSFT and GNU questions

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 7 22:05:24 UTC 2001

One of the things to emerge from the ongoing MSFT free software / GPL
FUD of recent weeks was the pump-priming document that Wagg-Ed put out
to journalists (see The New York Times, The Register, and others, for
stories -- Markoff and Orlowski respectively).  Among the questions
raised was the perennial "where do you turn for advice on the GPL".
Thought occurs to me is that this group, FSB, and possibly
gnu.misc.discuss could be promoted more heavily as precisely such a
resource, with an emphasis on the fact that the information offered
reflects general understanding but not legal advice on licensing.

Still, a useful service, and, hey, we've already got the infrasctructure
in place.  Also speaks to Tim O'Reilly's recent point about taking
advantage of "opportunities".

I suppose the operational question is -- how do we get the word out and
promote these resources further?  Not to mention how do we manage our
own prickley dispositions in dealing with those to whom free software
concepts are novel, strange, and foreign.

Thoughts?

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/