GPL and closed source

Greg Herlein gherlein at herlein.com
Thu Jul 12 14:39:21 UTC 2001

> Let's say that I've developped a programm under GPL.
> Is it possible to create Closed-source plugins for the GPL programm and sell
> them ?

If you own the copyright to the larger framework, this can be
done legally.  You'll want to make sure that you either
completely own, or have disclaimers or assignment of rights
documents from all developers.  If the framework is yours, you
can take all or part of it closed source at will - you own it.

However, if the framework is not clearly under your copyright,
then you can't do this, since you cannot link closed source to an
open source framework - and pluggable modules are considered to
be linking.

This is my non-legal opinion, of course.

Greg