trademarked logos and GPL

Ravicher, Daniel B. DRavicher at brobeck.com
Thu Jan 25 01:49:08 UTC 2001

Perhaps this discussion group will be best served by everyone contributing
their reasoned and educated thoughts.  Creating negative incentives to
participate spells doom for the discussion and thwarts the benefit we could
all receive from an open marketplace of ideas where we all feel comfortable
to express our opinions and let them stand or fall on their own merit.  On
that note, here's my 2 cents.

Whether a statement is legal advice or not, isn't a bright line yes or no.
It's a spectrum, from "Killing people is a bad legal maneuver" to "Write
this in your complaint which you should file in such and such court on such
and such date."  It is this distinction which I believe is at the root of
miscommunication and skepticism between lawyers and non-lawyers.
Non-lawyers want clear cut answers and believe they exist.  Lawyers know
clear cut answers don't exist; there are always arguments on both sides.
Thus, the expectations of the non-lawyers are often unfulfilled.  To make my
point, I'll point out the irony that the statement "Non-lawyers should not
give legal advice" is itself legal advice.

The following is arguably legal advice, but all of this information is
available on the UPSTO web site.  And if you can't believe the United States
government, who can you believe???  OPENSOURCE may not be lost as a TM to
the opensource community.  On the federal register the term OPENSOURCE is
registered for the following goods and services only: (a) financial
services, namely, on-line mortgage brokerage services; on-line mortgage
aggregation services; lending services.  There were two other applications
for OPENSOURCE, but both have been abandoned.  Yes, the mark may be generic
or descriptive without secondary meaning, but I'm not sure about that.  I
mean, I'm only a patent lawyer; give me a break.

Dan Ravicher
Brobeck
1633 Broadway, 47th Fl.
NY, NY 10019