Open Source *Game* Programming License

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Thu Jan 18 16:26:50 UTC 2001

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Henningsen wrote:
> If one were to strip off the basic user interface from GPL'd game software
> and keep that proprietary, that would indeed be a hole. But most game
> graphics is large world files, and you can run the game software with
> different versions of these files to visit different worlds/play different
> games.

But those files make up a large portion of the game.  The game is useless
without them.  Oh, you could make a new world file, but by that reasoning,
couldn't I make a program that needs readline, distribute it without readline,
and tell the user to make a new readline function?  World files are at least
as important to a game like Quake as readline is to a program that uses it.