IPL as a burden

Ralf Schwoebel puzzler at intradat.com
Wed Jan 17 15:51:04 UTC 2001

Mark Koek wrote:

> Source", that means the OSD is seriously flawed.

Hi Mark,

I understand your opinion, which was mine for a long time, too,
but still: OPEN DOES NOT MEAN FREE.

> And, BTW, the GPL does *not* leave the door open for license fees. It
> states that you may ask money for *distribution*, not for use.

Somebody said in a mail yesterday:

The GPL does not cover the question of "execution fees" and
one could ask for such a "license/exeution fee", but since everybody
could remove any copyright checks in the source, it makes no
sense to include these in OSS.

That one will always have free access to all the source, is another
fact that is seperate.

Here I disagree and we could publish something under GPL and
still ask for a license fee for that software. If we would
get it, is another question.

--
best regards,
Ralf "puzzler" Schwoebel